You Like Me, You Really Like Me!
I had been dreading figuring out what to write today. Week before the election for my editorial? Can I please not have to say anything about politics? Except, perhaps "thank god this will all be over by this time next week"? Thankfully Laura Anne of Chicks in the Mitt tagged me for an award and is forcing, yes, FORCING me to answer her questions. (Ok, so more like she's saving me from having to come up with my own topic...same difference, right?)
So when I went and googled the Liebster Award, this is what I found: The Liebster Blog Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. “Liebster” is German for “favorite”. This award is the “favorite blog award” then.
Don't look, I'm blushing.
Anyhow, this award comes with a few rules:
The rules for The Liebster Award are as follows:
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the questions the person giving the award has sent you.
- Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
- Choose 11 people to award and send them the link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
- No tag backs.
Uhm, this might be harder than expected. I'm not 100% sure how to go about determining who all has less than 200 followers, so I may just tag people at random. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I am very, very tired from being pregnant and potty training G. Also, nobody seems to be creating more than 4 questions...I find this far more sane. TAKE THAT RULES.
So 11 things about me...
1. I am a very late bloomer. I didn't hit 5' until I was already in high school but grew a few inches after I got to college.
2. Even though I'm into fashion and crafts and lots of girlie things now, I'm a die hard tomboy...to the extent that I gave my elementary school boyfriend a tadpole for Valentine's Day.
3. The tadpole I gave him was one of several I'd caught the summer before and had kept alive in a fish tank by feeding them goldfish food for several months.
4. I played flute (and sometimes piccolo) from 3rd grade through 12th, but was so burned out on it by then that I don't believe I've touched it more than a dozen times in the 12 years since. I'm not entirely sure I remember how to read music anymore.
5. The first house my Mr. and I lived in was within walking distance of the marker for the exact center of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. I felt quite justified in telling people that we, rather literally, lived in the middle of nowhere.
6. Growing up I spent fairly equal amounts of time learning ballet, gymnastics and karate. I move really funny.
7. Last summer I ran for local government. I was the youngest candidate in the race by 18 or so years.
8. I had double bunionectomies before I was even 27. Typically this is a surgery that people have in their 50s and 60s. I'm just mature for my age. My feet are perfect now though!
9. I am not a dog person. I'm fairly certain I'm at least mildly allergic to them and I can't stand all the attention...it reminds me of needy ex-boyfriends. I'd like to want to be a dog person, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
10. I'm an incurable night-owl. Given my druthers I'd go to sleep at about 5am and sleep til 3 or 4pm. This schedule does not work at all with my Mr. and G's penchant for early bird carousing.
11. I've somehow managed to raise an astonishingly verbal little boy. At 2 and a half he uses words like "cooperating" and "uncomfortable"...typically in hilarious ways. He regularly demands to know "How's your day?", often minutes after dragging you out of bed in the morning. I usually resist the urge to reply sarcastically.
On to L.A.'s questions!
1. What made you start to blog? What’s your favorite topic to write about?
I started blogging for several reasons. The first, and least inspiring, was because I'd started my kids' clothing line, g.c.b. and had read in quite a few places that a good way to get traffic to an etsy shop was to have a blog linking to it.
I've gotten pretty lax about remembering to keep the shop up to date, but have kept blogging, because another big part of why I started was, staying home with my sweet, wonderful little boy, I was starting to lose my mind. I didn't have any schedule that was holding me to any particular deadlines and while meeting my "snuggle" quota per day was wonderful, I was ending the day feeling a bit like I had nothing to show for myself. Beginning this blog gave me a concrete goal to accomplish every day and left me with a record of what I'd done.
My favorite topic to write about is sewing...mostly because it's my favorite thing to do! It's tough, because trying to fit it into my schedule around G, school, housework and occasionally sleeping means I can't do quite as much as I'd like, but I'm never more content than when I'm putting together a design of my own making with needle and thread.
2. What is your dream occupation if you could do anything regardless of money or time?
In very much the same vein, I'd be a fashion designer! It's what I went to school for, but, unfortunately, at the time, I didn't realize that I kind of hate large cities. Fashion only happens in large cities. This is a problem. Also, all my family and a large percentage of my friends are in Michigan. I'd be hard pressed to move away from them. But, if we can ignore money and time, there would be some way I could live here, more or less in the middle of nowhere, and be a fancy-pants fashion designer who had people to do the menial sewing for her and could just brainstorm designs and dictate that they'd happen.
I'm not about to hold my breath.
3. Innie or Outie?
Normally an innie, but 2.0 has me as outie as outie can be. My belly button pops LONG before my belly ever does when I'm pregnant. Obviously it's to make more room for my internal organs...right?
4. What is your go-to song right now that you probably have on repeat on your iPod?
Uhm. Can I crawl in a hole and die, or do I have to admit that for the past week I've heard very little other than the Elmo's Potty Time songs? Potty training is war you guys.
So my questions:
1. The weather is getting colder...what is your favorite winter-time memory?
2. What is the best book you've read lately? What made it so great? (Okay, I'm just trolling for ideas for my next reading fix here...)
3. What craft, DIY or sewing project would you love to try, but haven't had the time/bravery to do yet?
4. BAM, you're an animal...which one, and why?
And I'm tagging: The BorgBlog & Firewife Elly I'm a slacker and should tag more, but I'm exhausted and can't figure out how to tell who has more than 200 followers right now. Show these two some love and hop over to see them!